What safety certificates do landlords need in Scotland?

In Scotland, landlords must adhere to the repairing standards Scotland Act 2006. https://www.gov.scot/publications/repairing-standard-statutory-guidance-private-landlords.

As well as statutory safe kitchens, building etc the following certificates are required to be able to rent out a property in order that both landlord and tenant health and safety are looked after.

At first glance, the certification involved might seem daunting but there is no need to worry – we’ve got bundle landlord packages available for you or individual certification covered too.  This below list is everything you need to know to ensure that your properties are safe and fully compliant.

Which landlord safety certificates do you need to let property in Scotland?

You’ll need six safety certificates to let your property in the private rental sector, unless your property is classed as an HMO, in which case you’ll need an additional two certificates. For anyone new to the rental market, an HMO is a House in Multiple Occupation, meaning that it’s rented out by at least three (unrelated) people who share the bathroom or toilet and kitchen.

  • Smoke & Heat Alarm
  • EICR – Electrical Installation Condition Report (SPD surge protection device)
  • Gas Safety Certificate CP12 Report
  • LRA – Legionella Risk Assessment Certificate
  • EPC – Energy Performance Certificate
  • PAT – Portable Appliance Testing
  • Lead Test Certificate
  • BS 5266 Emergency Lighting Certificate *HMO Only
  • Portable Fire Extinguisher Report *HMO Only
  • At Property MOT, we offer five comprehensive packages tailored to cover all aspects of property health checks and investment services.
  • Full Property MOT Health Check
  • CERT Bundle
  • Drone Survey
  • HMO Bundle
  • Developments

These packages have been expertly designed to cater to your specific needs, whether you are a landlord, letting agency, asset management firm, or student accommodation provider.

Explore our dedicated package range.